Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Summer Series: Mystery Tripping! (Part 1)

About a month ago, Roger put a new appointment on our calendar. "Mystery Trip" it said and I gladly accepted his invitation to join him. What could it be? How exciting!

I decided I liked this idea, and since we have to stick close to Pittsburgh this summer, maybe we could make a "thing" of it and use the idea of "mystery trips" to explore our area even more! Plus it gives us a reason to get up and get going on Saturday mornings instead of wasting half the day just dilly-dallying around. So I put a mystery trip on the calendar too...

While coming up with ideas for the trip I was planning, I thought, wouldn't it be fun, and productive to go pick strawberries? The kids would like it, we'd get outdoors, and we'd have berries to eat and make jam and store for the winter. Total win! On a whim, a couple days before Roger's mystery trip (our first one of the summer) I mentioned picking strawberries. I just wanted to feel him out and see what he thought of the idea.

He got this funny look on his face and I just knew: I had unintentionally discovered the theme of our first trip.

DANG! I ruined my own surprise!

Isn't that funny, though? Roger was planning on taking us berry picking- which is what I was planning on doing the following weekend.

So we braved the mud and the raindrops, praying for the sky to clear off like it was "supposed" to and went to Simmons Farm in McMurray, PA. We forgot the camera. Ian got really muddy.



We "officially" picked 17 pounds of strawberries. We stopped at IKEA on the way home. We had lunch/dinner at Quaker Steak and Lube. We had FUN!



Aaron (& Ian, but mostly Aaron) sampled some of the goods to make sure we were getting tasty berries. He sat in the wagon while we picked and was the only one who didn't get muddy pants and shoes!



And then we made strawberry jam.

And had strawberry milkshakes for dinner. (I'm not joking about this... we really did have them for dinner... we didn't eat anything else for dinner but strawberry milkshakes.)



And now I have to come up with a new idea for the mystery trip for this weekend! Oh Jeez!

No comments:

Post a Comment