Tuesday, January 25, 2011

French Dip Sandwiches

I was going off of this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/Easy-Slow-Cooker-French-Dip/Detail.aspx

I say "going off of" because here's what happened:

I went to walmart to buy the ingredients since there were a bunch of other things we needed like lightbulbs and shampoo. Walmart, unbelievably, was OUT of French Onion Soup. There wasn't a single stinkin' can in any brand, size, etc. Apparently there is a run on French Onion Soup? So I ended up with Lipton powdered french onion soup/dip mix and a can of College Inn lower sodium beef broth.

I bought a roast.

I bought the nicest looking sub buns I could find (they weren't super, but they were ok.)

I bought provalone cheese.

Then I came home and put the powdered soup mix through a wire strainer to get out the big pieces of onion because I don't like onions. (I don't mind onion flavored stuff so much, but I do not want to chomp down on a hunk of onion in something...gross!) Added the onion soup mix to the crock pot with the roast and the beef broth and an extra can of water. (I filled the beef broth can up with water and dumped that much into the crock pot.)

Then I remembered the beer in the recipe. The only beer we have is one bottle of some special kind Roger picked the last time he did a mix-n-match 6 pack. I don't think he would've wanted me cooking with it. So I left the beer out.

Flipped the crock pot on high (it was almost 1pm by this time) and hoped for the best!

At 4:40pm I turned the crock pot off and took the meat out so it could cool a little before I tried slicing it.  Cut the buns in half, put them on a cookie sheet, cut the provalone slices into half-moons, turned the broiler on, then sliced the meat, put it on the buns, topped with cheese and into the oven.

Served with french fries and sweet potato fries, mixed veggies, the jus for dipping, & horseradish & mayo for Roger's sandwich.

They were very good.

The kids did not like them. Next time I will just cut meat like normal for the kids and not try to make them eat sandwiches. The kids love roast beef... not so much sandwiches. *sigh*

We will be having this again.  I'd like to try it with the beer added... maybe... but I liked it the way it was today, too!

Let me know if you try it too!



Did you notice I changed the table cloth?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment