Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Pineapple Pork

Here's a recipe for you to try.  Straight from my electric skillet.

1 small pork loin roast (1-2 lbs), cut into bite-size pieces
1 can pineapple chinks (or tidbits) in pineapple juice (not syrup), drained, reserve juice
1-2 tbsp. corn starch
3 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
3Tbsp. lower sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. dark honey (or whatever you have, I have local buckwheat honey.)
salt
pepper
sesame seeds
rice
asian veggie blend (I use birdseye brand)
cooking spray

Sprinkle corn starch, salt, & pepper over pork & toss to coat while preheating a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray (with a lid, I use my electric skillet).  Place pork into skillet on high heat in a single layer & brown on both sides.

Add pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce & water.  Simmer on medium-high, covered for 8 minutes.  Uncover & continue simmering until the liquid is cooked down & thicker. Add pineapple & honey. Continue cooking another minute or two to heat the pineapple through. Turn off.

Serve with steamed asian veggies & rice.  Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.

I know it sounds like a lot of ingredients that you might not have on hand, but I have found that we eat this for dinner several times a month and once you have the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame seeds, etc. you can make this as a "pantry meal."  We keep pork roast & asian veggies in the freezer all the time.

If you try it, let me how how you like it!  I threw this together one night after a long day out and about, hoping for a tasty, quick dinner.  It took several times to "perfect" it, but I personally think it is quite tasty.  I keep forgetting to take a photo of it, but next time we have it, I promise I will take one.  It not only tastes good, it looks really nice on the plate! The whole thing takes about 20 minutes to make- if you're cooking your rice & vegetables at the same time as the pork.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment