Monday, November 24, 2008

Ian's night of Ferberization.

We made it to 19 months before we had to cry it out.

Last night, Ian, whose fever broke in the evening yesterday, woke at 2:00am. I got him and brought him out, gave him some water, fresh diaper, the works. He was back to sleep by 2:15 so I tried to take him back to bed.

He woke when his head hit the mattress, like always. So I picked him up and tried the new toddler bed... (another story) and he wasn't having that either. So I put him back in the crib, kissed him, told him we loved him and left the room.

And the hysterics began. He "cried" (no tears, figure that one out) for the next hour and a half! We started going in at intervals, 5 min, 6 min, 7, 9, and held at 10.

At 3:43, all was silent. I went to check on him and cover him up and he was totally passed out. He's been there, silent, ever since.

It totally broke my heart. I pray we don't have to do it again. Aaron slept through most of it. (and ate through the rest...)

Ian is the worst sleeper known to man. I'm sure it is a result of both nature and nurture. We find ourselves hushing Aaron constantly to avoid waking the beast, and I feel bad for Aaron! Anyone know if there's baby ambien?

I also feel like I need a gold star.

2 comments:

  1. Gold star from me, my friend! It's hard to do tough love, but I always just have to ask myself, "What am I trying to instill here? Is this a good long-term goal?" In this case, helping Ian learn to sleep through the night independently is indeed a very good skill for him. Keep your eyes on the goal through the painful parts. You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am responding to your comment on my blog about the backpack :) I found a Kelty on Craig's list and the model was called "meadow". Know anything about that one?

    ReplyDelete